dou.la [doo-luh]

A Greek word meaning "woman's servant". A doula is a woman who provides continuous physical, emotional, and informational support during pregnancy, labor, and postpartum. Research shows that doulas help women have faster, safer, and more natural births.


About Heather


Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am so excited that you are thinking about birthing with a doula!

My name is Heather Farrell. I grew up in Idaho Falls, Idaho. I am an incurable bookworm who loves to swim, dance, embroider, hike, raise chickens, and sing (somewhat badly) to my beautiful babies. I am a graduate from Brigham Young University (BYU) with a degree in Public Health and a minor in Women's Studies. I am a certified birth doula {CD(DONA} with DONA International, the largest and most well respected doula organization. I am passionate about all issues concerning women, and I have a special reverence for the miracle of birth and women's roles as creators.

I am married to the most handsome and kindest man I know. We have a two little children, a 2 year-old boy and a 4 month old girl. I had natural births with both of my children and both experiences were empowering and life changing events for me. I had wonderful support both times and it really made all the difference. I also used the hypnobirthing technique with both of their births. I love being a doula and offering women the support, education and advocacy they need in order to have the type of birth experience they want for themselves and their baby.

Whether this is your first baby or your sixth baby I would love to help you prepare to welcome this new spirit into the world in whatever way you and your family choose.

My Philosophy of Birth

I believe that birth is a natural, normal, and significant event in a woman’s life.

I believe that women’s bodies are strong, beautiful, and sacred; they should be treated with respect.

I believe that a woman should give birth where she feels safe and supported.

I believe that every woman is entitled to correct information concerning her body and her baby; she has the right to make informed decisions.

I believe that birth experiences last a lifetime, and that they help shape a woman's perception of motherhood and womanhood.

I believe that birth is a woman's ultimate act of creation.

I believe that all women, no matter how or where they choose to birth, should have continuous support, encouragement, and respect.